.

ad test

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Weird

I was going through the job boards, and came across an opening for an engineer for a non-line of sight weapons system to go on the US Navy's Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) outside of DC.

Since it's rather similar to work that I have done on the Future Combat Systems (FCS), I clicked through to apply, and it takes me to the jobs page of Ukpeaġvik Iñupiat Corporation.

So, I'm looking at the name, and saying, "Gee, it sounds like Inuit," so after I fill out the application, I click the "about us" page, and get:

Ukpeaġvik Iñupiat Corporation (UIC) is headquartered out of Barrow, Alaska - the northernmost point of North America. Barrow is home to more than 4500 people, a majority of which are Iñupiat Eskimos.

As an Alaska Native Corporation, UIC provides social and economic resources to its 2,100 shareholders, and their descendents, who primarily reside in Barrow, Alaska. UIC is ranked 8th among Alaska Business Monthly’s 2008 survey of Alaskan-owned companies. UIC employs over 1,400 people worldwide, with over 750 in Alaska.
My first thought was, "How Odd."

My 2nd thought was, "Was dad involved in some level in the early days of this corporation," as he was on Governor Bill Egan's cabinet as director of planning, but he said that the native corporations were created with the money from the oil revenues, which started to flow in after we left the state.

Still it's kind of strange how these things tie together.

No comments: